Sunday, March 9, 2014

Cha-cha-changes

At this point I'm not sure why I am posting. It's been so long since my last one, I'm sure any followers have since moved on to better (and more frequent) postings. But, since it has been some time since my last update, I figured I would share the goings on in Ebonn's life-ola!

1. The Fox's Kitchen - 

We're trying to update The Fox's kitchen. It's not a complete overhaul, but more of a makeover. It was a little outdated, so we're sprucing it up in hopes that we can sell the house and move to something bigger! The to-do list is lengthy, but we've accomplished a good bit of it so far:

1. Bring the hardwoods under the linoleum back to life. 
2. Build bench seating for the dining area
3. Cushions for the bench seating
4. New appliances (Stove, Fridge, Micro)
5. Paint cabinets
6. New counters & sink
7. Additional cabinet space
8. Close up doorway into bedroom and make it more functional
9. Paint walls & trim
10. Update lighting & add light above sink
11. Build cabinet for microwave (move receptacle)

We've done all of the things above that have been struck through, but we still have several things to go. As an update, this was the before of said kitchen…

  

  


That ugly linoleum was like a basket weave or something. The cabinets were white, but they were outdated (& dirty). The appliances were/are white and the walls are beige.

This was the process for the floors…

When we pulled up all (three layers) of the linoleum, there was a layer of tar paper underneath. We spent far too much time using a wallpaper steamer to get it up, but later rented a sander to get down to the original wood.




Safety first!




The end result was wonderful!


Then we moved onto the bench…




This was by far the most difficult part of the reno. With not so straight walls, there was a lot of shimming, cussing & lots of caulking afterwards. We finally completed it, but boy was it a challenge. (I eventually finished the other cushion, but this was prior to.)

Next are the cabinets, and we are still working on these.



As of now:


They were just a grimy white, but now they are a nice light grey color. We aren't sure what we are going to paint the walls, but it's probably going to be some shade of brown.

So that's what's happening in The Fox's kitchen. Still lots to do, but we're getting there. Next on the list is to finish the cabinets, then the rest will follow.

2. Looking for a house - 

For the last several months, I've been looking for a house. I've got the itch to renovate (like The Fox's kitchen isn't enough work?). We put an offer in on these two beauties, but sadly thankfully, they didn't work out.



Why? Several reasons I'm sure, but hopefully to make way for this one!


It's not official yet. And I don't want to jinx it, but we're waiting for my offer to be accepted/denied and then we'll go from there…if ever my patience were tested it's been this past week. I put in an offer on Tuesday and we've still not gotten to a resolve! Fingers crossed it works out!

So that's it! Other than working, this is what's been a-happenin' in my world.

I'm sure I'll have many more updates in the coming weeks, but this should tied those who've still hung on over for a while. Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment