Wednesday, January 16, 2013

the power of after

I'm pretty impatient when it comes to home improvements. And that's not always good considering most home improvements take time. But, I've discovered that some of my favorite projects are those that take very little time and produce dramatic results.

We all know what paint can do for something worn out, drab and dull...

Exhibit A:
The above chair was in desperate need of some TLC, but what about those things lying around the house that are just boring and in need of a quick overhaul?

For instance the Fox's outdoor porch light. Not necessary on the list of "if we don't do this we are going to die" list, but more on the "could use an update, but not gonna make or break the curb appeal" list.

We were walking through Lowe's for another fixer-upper that's far to boring to share, and passed by some clearance light fixtures. We didn't see one that we had to have, but we decided we'd check out their full-priced selection just to see what they had. Again, nothing really struck our fancy, especially since it wasn't a "must do" project, so we decided to move on....but then....ENTER another clearance section! One lonely little light sat on a shelf, begging for our attention. What was a DIY couple to do?

Well, my fellow bloggers....

BAM! This is what we did. For less than $30, we scored this super cute fixture and in about 15 minutes, we had it off and reinstalled with no problem at all. It was that simple! And it instantly gave an update to the porch! Those are the kind of projects I'm talking about.

Other things I've done recently that have taken about zero time and money? New knobs for the Fox's desk:

Kinda hard to see, but the old ones were on their last hinge. Literally. And of course, not something that needed to be done, but when you're in a store and you find pretty cool ones for .98, you can't pass them up. It gave a whole, new-world look to the desk! Love it!

Now I've lived in my apartment for a year and 1/2 and never had curtains on my living room windows. And I love curtains, but those things can be so darn expensive! Thankfully, on one of my recent yard saling adventures, I came across 2 sets of Pine Cone Hill sheers. I think the lady used them for her little girls room, but I thought they would be perfect in my living room...and I was right! They gave a whole new life to my room in just a few minutes. It's amazing what fabric can do to soften the mood of a room!

It's so exciting to see that a little can go a long way. That's always been my passion and it will continue to be. I love making things better, especially when it can be done on the cheap and quick. :)

If you love before and after shots, check out the website Better After. She features before and afters from all kinds of bloggers and I'm mesmerized by what people can do and by their imagination.

I hope you'll take 2013 to challenge yourself and think outside the box. There is a whole different world out there if you just look beyond what's in front of you. Good luck!!


No comments:

Post a Comment