Wednesday, January 2, 2013

deck the halls a little or a lot!

The holidays are such a fun time. Not only is food a plenty, but family and friends are (usually) on their best behavior and everyone just has a good time.

Probably one of my favorite things about the holidays is decorating! Now, I don't go all crazy, but I like to do a little here and there to get my home into the spirit.

I decided to forgo the evergreen this year. Not because I really wanted to, but mostly because of the following reasons:

1. I live in an upstairs apartment with LOTS of steep stairs. It's bad enough bringing groceries up those bad boys, so I decided that a Christmas tree was better viewed from a distance.
And 2. The Fox was donning his own tree, so I figured it could be "our" tree for this year.

But have no fear! I didn't become a scrooge. I merely shrunk my spirit into a mini size - just enough for me :).

I don't have a mantle in my itty (but very spacious) apartment, but I do have this super awesome piece of furniture that I kinda, might have, sly-ly stole from my dear ole mama, but none-the-less, it acts as my mantle :).

I found this tiny, white plastic tree at GW one day and though it would be the perfect size for what I needed...and it was!



I just love my vintage ornaments, too.  I've collected them over the years and even inherited (didn't steal these) from my mom. They are so unique and old-timey, that they just scream Christmas to me. 


I took the cheer into my kitchen this year as well. Since the Fox and I spend so much time in there, it only seemed appropriate. I used some plastic, gold evergreen, and stuffed it in a vase with some sticks. Then I decorated it with a couple of vintage lightbulbs turned ornaments and spruced up my magnet board.


 Also,  I may have gotten just a bit out of control with my giving this year...
 

So, it wasn't too overdone, but it was just what I needed. But, if my home didn't have enough, I could always head down south to my rents' place. My mom always does a kick butt job on Christmas. And even though the last few years she's toned it down, I always like her simple, but elegant decorations.

Here she mixed some real and fake greenery in old milk jugs as centerpieces.

   

Then, if that weren't cute enough, she decorated her mantle with pictures of our grandparents when they were little. Totally Pinterest worthy in my opinion :).



Her festive food table. There was no food at this point, but believe me, there was no shortage. Our menu ranged from oysters to a roast and almost every finger food imaginable. Like always, the Thomas Family Christmas was delicious!



And again, clearly we don't know when to stop with the gifts! We are truly a blessed family with lots of healthy bodies.


Well that's my Christmas! It's such a fun time to be able to show your creative side. And really, anything goes! There is the super colorful, then there is the low key. Either way you do it, I just hope it reflects you.

Merry late Christmas everyone, and best wishes for a happy and safe 2013!!

No comments:

Post a Comment