Saturday, March 16, 2013

kickin' kitchen

I admit, I can't bake worth a hoot, but cooking? I can do that. It may not always taste out of this world, but give me some garlic, onions and butter, and I can make most anything. But if it's one thing I've learned living alone and choosing to cook to save $, it's that kitchens need to be functional.

Now I can live without a dishwasher, but everything else needs to be at arms length. Even more importantly, organized. I've lived in my share of small kitchens and over the years I've determined ways to create an organized, but stylish kitchen dejour.

These days it's easy to find inspiration. Can you say Pinterest??




With the help of our friendly inspiration site, it's not too hard to find unique items for keeping your space super tidy and stylish. I've taken my inspiration from here, Country Living, Real Simple, etc. The easier, cheaper and cuter the better!

Behold, my cooking room storage (and a little decor):


I like to use lots of clear storage items in my kitchen. It not only helps with the functional part, but it keeps things in sight without being too cluttered.

I'm a tea drinker so all of my tea is right where I can grab it:


I put on my hot water and grab a bag. Sometimes I use loose leaf when I have it, but it usually doesn't stay out on the counter. I also have my silverware in a pitcher. I HATE having to open an hard to open drawer to grab something that I need "right now," so having my forks, knives and spoons right at my finger tips helps when I have a hot something ready to eat! (you could call this lazy of course, but I call it smart :))

With very little counter space, you have no choice but to be creative. For several years, I've always loved having a pedestal of some sort to hold sweetener, butter, etc. Now, I don't use sweeteners (or matches) often, but when I do, they are easy to reach as well.


  
Again, clear containers help to see what's in side and keeps things stylish. And, I'm not against using original packaging for items so long as it's cute, of course...

Finally, this wasn't in the original picture because it kinda threw off my color scheme, but I also keep a grouping of often needed cooking items right next to my stove.


I can easily reach over and get what I need when I need it. Above that are my spices, but I'm not really 100% sold on my storage idea, so no picture this time...sorry.

What are your kitchen storage solutions? I'd love to hear about them. I'm always looking for new and exciting ways to spruce up and organize my kitchen!

Happy longer lighted days!! Hope you have fun things planned for spring! Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment