Wednesday, August 7, 2013

props for pics

I'm a prop person. I don't have nearly as many as I should, but I enjoy taking pictures with the unconventional - chairs, vintage suitcases, quilts, etc. If I had a warehouse and a van, I could make any outdoor space look like a room. Unfortunately, my one bedroom apartment and small SUV don't allow for that kind of pack ratting, so I must use what I have.

In this weekend's impromptu photo shoot with The Fox's cousin, I had to use my surroundings. Thankfully, we were able to scout out a couple of cool backdrops that made for great pictures. This picture taken outside of a replica of Elijah Clark's cabin.


If you don't know who good ole Elijah is, he's this guy:


Learn about him, here. Otherwise, if you have no interest, please continue reading.

The park we were visiting was on Lake Thurmond and they just so happened to have canoes! Which also made for a fun backdrop with great coloring.


It was exciting to use my imagination to find props that were not premeditated. I usually have things pretty planned out - like in this session - where we used a vintage suitcase and quilt that I had. Both added character to the pictures.

But sometimes it's a lot of work to haul around those heavy quilts. So while surf the webs tonight, I noticed that you can make your own printed fabrics out of drop cloths/white dish towels and paint! I love the idea. Here is one from a blog called Beautifully Contained.


Actually, that was her inspiration, but this is what she created from just plain, white dish towels and a potato stamp.


Pretty darn cute, huh? Another blogger, over at A Blissful Nest, create a cute picnic blanket with a drop cloth.


I was blown away! I knew drop cloths were great for super cheap curtains, but I never thought about blankets and such! These would be great for photo shoots. They are colorful, light weight and easy to stuff in a backpack.

While, I don't have any immediate plans to make one of these fancy props, I thought they were a great idea for sharing! Hope you agree!

Happy hump day, by the way. Until the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment